I just started on the Taste Of Healing’s “The Clean 15 Detox” and it inspired me to offer a few tips to help others cut down on their own sugar consumption. During this particular detox, I am eliminating all sugar & alcohol, but I think that some people work best by slowly reducing their sugar intake over time. It’s amazing how good you can feel when you cut down or eliminate it from your daily routine. (Not to mention ALL of the health benefits!)
These are ways that I have cut down on my sugar consumption in the past and they have worked for me. Maybe some of these will work for you? Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Ways to Cut Down On Sugar:
1. Start your day with a NO SUGAR ADDED BREAKFAST because starting your day off right sets the tone for the remaining meals. Examples: hard-boiled eggs and a piece of fruit, grilled veggie omelet, berry & nut butter smoothie, apple & almond butter
2. Drink sweetened coffee drinks? Try a flavored coffee bean instead, such as Jim’s Organic Hazelnut Coffee which can be found right HERE. (Seriously-it’s so good!) Add a splash of unsweetened nut milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
3. Craving a something sweet? Eat a date (or two) with a tablespoon of almond butter & cinnamon instead of chocolate after dinner.
4. When the 3 p.m. frappe or sugar cravings hit, eat a piece of fruit instead. Even better-pair it with a protein like a handful of nuts!
5. Grabbing drinks after work or dinner? Instead of tonic water, get the club soda and vodka (duhhhh), and then take note of these 60 tips for healthier boozing.
6. Cookie craving when you get home from said drinks? Try to make your own desserts using stevia or honey instead of the white stuff. Since making my own treats takes time and effort, I find that I eat sweet stuff a lot less often than when I can easily grab store bought stuff from the pantry.
7. Check your labels and look for these favorite foods that contain more sugar than you think (yep-I see you granola!)
8. Squeeze one less squirt of ketchup or barbecue sauce on your burger because that sh*t sneaks in a lot of sugar!
This is all about making little changes over time so you don’t overwhelm yourself. Small adjustments to live a healthier life can lead to BIG improvements over time.
I hope that you found these tips to be helpful! Please comment if you have found other ways to cut down on sugar that have worked for you. Reach out HERE if you have any questions!