Metabolism is a term that describes all chemical reactions in your body. It often is used interchangeably with “metabolic rate”, which is the number of calories you burn. The higher this is, the more calories and fat you naturally burn off and keep off. In addition, having a higher metabolism can give you more energy and make you feel better. Who doesn’t want that?
Here are 7 ways to naturally kick your metabolic rate up so that you can burn more fat:
1. Eat Protein At Every Meal: Eating protein raises your metabolic rate by 15-30% and can make you feel fuller longer, which can keep you from overeating. Eating protein also keeps you from losing muscle mass, which is a common side effect of dieting.
2. Do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): I know you’ve heard this before-intervals of quick and intense bursts of activity during exercise has been proven to help boost your metabolism and burn more fat than steady cardio and it still works long after your workout is over!
3. Lift Heavy: Having more muscle on your body allows you to naturally burn more calories and fat in any given day. Lifting heavy weights vs light weights is more effective in helping you increase your muscle mass and improve your metabolic rate.
4. Drink Green or Oolong Tea: Both of these teas have shown to increase metabolism by 4-5%. They are low in calories and may help promote weight loss and weight maintenance in certain people.
5. Get a Good Night’s Sleep: Lack of sleep is linked to a major increase in the link to obesity. It is also linked to raising blood sugar levels, insulin resistance, increasing your hunger hormones, and decreasing the hormones that make you feel full.
6. Drink Coffee (yay!): Studies have shown that coffee (like green tea) can boost metabolism up to 11%.
7. Stand Up More: Sitting too much is bad for your health and can cause you to gain significant amounts of weight. (Not to mention the bad effects it has on your heart!) If you have a desk job-set an alarm every 10 minutes that will remind you to get up, walk around, and get the blood flowing in your body. (This will also help you refocus and get more energy as you continue working.)